Phonics and Early Reading
WHAT are we aiming for?
Reading is the gift that keeps on giving. Here at Forsbrook CE Primary School we want our children to develop a love of reading from a very young age.
To achieve this children are:
- engaging in story times several times throughout a day, listening to a broad range of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and rhymes
- encouraged to read at least four times a week at home and reading is celebrated regularly at school
- listening to a range of storytellers… teacher, teaching assistant, older child or family member as a Mystery Reader
HOW do we achieve this?
- phonics is taught from the second week of Reception class
- children learn phonics through a systematic and synthetic phonics programme Little Wandle Letters and Sounds
- children engage in phonics learning throughout each day alongside specific phonics lessons
- children read phonics appropriate books where they can develop their fluency, expression and comprehension skills
Little Wandle Letters and Sounds
Click the play button to learn more about Little Wandle Letters and Sounds: