Design and Technology
Design & Technology Intent
At Forsbrook C of E Primary, we believe that Design and Technology offers a unique opportunity to foster children’s curiosity and develop practical skills. We want our children to become creative thinkers and imaginative problem-solvers who design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts. Through the biblical verse, “Start children off on the way they should go,” we aim to nurture our children to show compassion and consideration to the needs of others, and to know how modern-day designers create thoughtful products to help those in need. Our curriculum has strong cross curricular links with other subjects such as Mathematics, Science, Computing and Art. Through our Cooking and Nutrition curriculum, we aim to make our children aware of where food comes from, how to make healthy food choices and to give them the skills to prepare and cook healthy food – skills which we believe will prepare them for success in later life.
The key skills which we aim to foster in our children:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high quality products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values
- Work both individually and as part of a team.
- Select appropriate tools and techniques with increasing accuracy for making a product, whilst following safe procedures
- Evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others, following the iterative design process
- Reflect on and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and its impact
- Apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world.
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction, curiosity and purpose in designing and making things
How do we achieve this?
At Forsbrook CE Primary, DESIGN & TECHNOLOGY is delivered as a discrete subject although, wherever possible, cross-curricular links are made.
Design Technology links particularly well with subjects, such as Computing, Maths and Science and teachers carefully plan these links to ensure they are meaningful and real.
To ensure high standards of teaching and learning in Design and Technology, we implement a curriculum that is progressive throughout the whole school. Teachers use the Projects on a Page units of work recommended by the Design and Technology Association. These have been carefully organised to form the schools DT long term plan so that over the course of each key stage children will experience projects on food technology, structures, textiles (linked to art) mechanisms and electrical systems. The skills and knowledge have been allocated to year groups and revisited to ensure progression and coverage. Each year group should carry out three Design, Make, Evaluate projects over the course of the school year- one being food and nutrition.